Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
I'm really interested in how the pupils will react towards it - on the one hand, it's a great story and their first book in English, on the other, it may be a bit tricky vocab-wise... We'll see.
(snatched from http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Scrooges_third_visitor-John_Leech,1843.jpg/220px-Scrooges_third_visitor-John_Leech,1843.jpg)
In other news, there's still plenty of work to do at the moment, and, of course, Christmas presents to think of and buy. For the first time, I've created a "presents" list where I keep track of which kind of presents I gave away to whom for which occasion and I add ideas for possible presents in the future. Actually I hate lists - they pretend to simplify the complexity of a situation by packing everything in neat little bullet points. Plus, they have this terribly bureaucratic touch and tend to frustrate me and just don't look quite sexy. BUT - as I don't get any younger I don't want to run the risk of giving away the same kind of present to the same person in different situations...
What about you? Have you already started buying - or even thinking of - Christmas presents?
I've ordered a couple. Amazon is my friend. :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe I'm a little bit old-fashioned, but it's still hard for me to buy things I can't paw first... On the other hand, it'd save me a huge amount of time...
ReplyDelete