Summer nights inherently possess a certain kind of magic. Spring and autumn nights may have very agreeable and charming moments, too, but they could never evoke the same degree of fascination in me. They could never trigger that extraordinary feeling starting in my fingertips that makes me get up, open the window, enjoy the air (I can easily differentiate three different stages of summer just by their nightly smell) and roam the streets or fields or woods and just be. I never experience this strong sense of belonging, being a part of my surroundings in any other time.
Although I deeply miss the nights of the countryside, I recently spent two fantastic nights in Vienna. On Thursday my boyfriend and I went to the cinema to see Midnight in Paris (certainly NOT the best Woody Allen film, but we nevertheless enjoyed it) and experienced something like a bonus feature of the movie that extended to the "real world" outside the cinema. The film did not just end and we went home, as usual, but it seemed as if we were entering the setting of the film - narrow, cobbled streets dimly illuminated by the soft light of lanterns and framed by old, picturesque houses... From time to time a couple passed by or we saw a few people sitting outside a café, drinking wine and laughing. It's hard to describe that atmosphere just by enumerating some details... My boyfriend and I agreed that it was simply perfect, up to a point which seemed almost unrealistic and maybe even absurd.
Yesterday was different to that night, but nevertheless I enjoyed it very much. I went out with a friend to have some fun, we had long strolls along the riverside of the Danube, mingled with the crowd of people eating or drinking cocktails, relaxing in deckchairs, watching some small ships go by, digging our feet in the sand and listening to Reggae music. We ventured to enter this really posh exhibition of interior design, sat on sofas that cost a fortune (but allegedly were on sale...) and did a lot of stupid things, as there were hardly any other people there. I came home by half past midnight with blisters on my feet, sand in my hair, a huge stain of plum jam on my white skirt and a big smile on my face. Now I'm usually not that kind of person who parties a lot or stays out late, but yesterday was different... And I am absolutely certain it's related to that magic of summer nights...
It's already late August and the end of summer approaches very fast. Today the weather dramatically changed from about 35 to14°C. I am aware that the rain was already badly needed and lots of people suffered from the high temperatures, but I wonder how many hot days are still to come this year... Time quickly passes by, there's nothing we can do about it than enjoy it to the fullest and appreciate every single moment. This is the time I will remember nostalgically and yearn for in all the other seasons. :-)
Heiß genug heute, oder? :)
ReplyDeleteDieses Kommentar ist übrigens ein Test.
Heut war ich noch nicht draußen, aber in der Nacht hats schon ordentlich abgekühlt gehabt ^^
ReplyDeleteOh, Midnight in Paris und danach einen zauberhaften Spaziergang durch Wien... möcht ich auch so erleben :)
ReplyDeleteKleiner Tipp: Geh ins Artis und, wenn der Film aus ist, von dort aus Richtung Judenplatz. Zauberhaft.
ReplyDelete